Wednesday, June 20, 2007

A little inspiration


This is a project I did for the store a while back. I found this adorable, small window, used a nice piece of cardboard cut the size of the opening, covered it with a piece of a Ralph Lauren sheet (I love this fabric, as it looks old fashioned) then, I had this beautiful antique book that I had made color copies of the pages, cut one out and placed it in the center, put the board in the glass opening and I think I taped it in but can't quite remember now, then cover the back with paper. . . a simple idea but the look is really cool!!


You could use an old photograph or maybe other special items, keys, buttons, etc. If you place a layer of batting on the cardboard first then the fabric, you could put items that are thicker than a piece of paper on top of the fabric and have a little cushion around the item when placed up against the glass. The ideas are endless ~ and what a neat frame!!


One other idea, as your children grow, there's always that special dress or outfit that you loved them in when they were a baby. (If you're like me, I've saved several and would never use certain pieces of clothing.) Cover the cardboard with batting, then use the fabric from an outfit they wore to cover the cardboard, then layer on their baby bracelet, a special photo of them, and a few other things that you have been saving.

How wonderful it is to bring these items out of boxes or closets and see them on a daily basis. It is such a special time when your children are tiny and it is so very fleeting ~ why not make something like this so you can see these sweet reminders as you walk through your home . . .

11 comments:

R2artstudio said...

The simplicity of this makes it so beautiful. You put all the elements together perfectly!

Anonymous said...

beautiful...

Anonymous said...

These are just deloghtful ideas presented here. Thanks so much for the inspiration. The piece you made is very pretty too!!!

Mica

Lori said...

Dawn, thank you for sharing these beautiful and inspiring ideas...

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Always I leave your blog inspired. That is just a lovely piece you have created. Dawn, wishing you happy days of Summer!
Lidy

Anonymous said...

those tender colors!

Anonymous said...

Tu as bien fait de poser derrière un joli tissu avec une adorable carte postale ... c'est frais, et plaisant à regarder, on se prend à rêver à ce qui se cache derrière ...

ShabbyInTheCity said...

I'll bet you never sleep with all these ideas roaming around!
When my head hits the pillow I have ideas too...but raising boys tends to stop my crafty progress...
I love this project AND that star!

Anonymous said...

Dawn as always you inspire me and make me want to run to the store and do what you did. Keep your great ideas coming!!!
Love ya Sharon

Anonymous said...

No wonder that fabric looked familiar. That is my pillow case! What a lovely project.

Ruth Welter said...

Your window is beautiful...very creative.


Labels

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...